Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Welcome / Willkommen

Welcome to Silverwing's Book Emporium and Gallery.

The name is inspired by a short story I just read today: "Mr. Truepenny's Book Emporium and Gallery", which I found in Charles De Lint's delightfull collection "The Ivory And The Horn". I immediately wanted to throw all my previous occupations out the window and go into town to open up a wonderful book and art store like the one I read about in this story.

Alas, for the moment, that will have to remain idle fantasy.

Instead, I offer you this blog - a kind of virtual Book Emporium. Have a cup of coffee - or if you'd rather have tea, I have a wide selection of that, too - grab whatever seat you like and settle down wherever you feel comfortable.

Yes, there are hundreds, if not *thousands* of book review blogs out there. I know. And I don't want to be in competition with those, at all. What I want to do here is share whatever I'm currently reading or looking at or listening to or otherwise enjoying, with you. Some of it may be old, some may be new. Books may be fiction, or they may be fantasy, or they might be a handbook on marketing or jewelry making. Music might be Rock or Filk, Classic or Metal. Art might be fanart, photography, classical oilpainting or my daughter's scribbles. Whatever catches my senses at the moment.

I'll be writing in English and/or in German, depending on what I'm writing about. I'll try to translate, but I won't promise that every post will be bi-lingual. Some things just don't translate well. :)

Articulate comments are always welcome, flamers will be chained to my basement furnace in preparation for the winter.

That said.... enjoy!

**********

Willkommen in Silverwings Bibliothek und Gallerie.

Der englische Name für diesen Blog habe ich einer Kurzgeschichte von Charles De Lint entnommen: "Mr. Truepenny's Book Emporium and Gallery", aus seinem Kurzgeschichtenband "The Ivory And The Horn". Nachdem ich die Geschichte gelesen hatte, wollte ich sofort meine momentanen beruflichen Beschäftigungen aus dem Fenster werfen und im nächsten Ort solch einen wunderbaren Laden eröffnen.

Aber leider muss das im Moment eher eine Fantasie bleiben.

Statt dessen biete ich diesen Blog an - eine Art virtuelle Bibliothek und Laden. Tasse Kaffee gefällig? Ich habe auch Tee da, unendliche viele Sorten. Nimm Dir was immer Dir schmeckt, such Dir eine gemütliche Ecke, lümmel Dich auf das nächste Sofa oder Kissen und dann geht's los.

Natürlich gibt's schon hunderte, wenn nicht tausende von Blogs über Bücher. Ich will mich auch gar nicht mit denen messen. Sondern hier werde ich ganz einfach nur die Dinge teilen, die mir selber in irgendeiner Weise aufgefallen sind, mir gefallen, sich mir aufgedrängt haben. Bücher von Fantasy bis Roman, Science Fiction oder Sachbuch, oder ein Handbuch über Marketing. Musik von Rock bis Filk, Metall bis Klassisch. Kunst von Kinderzeichnung zu Photographie. Altes. Neues. Vielleicht auch ungewöhnliches. Je nachdem, wonach mir gerade ist.

Ich werde sowohl als auch in Englisch, bzw. Deutsch schreiben. Ob ich es immer schaffe, in beiden Sprachen zu posten kann ich nicht versprechen. Manche Sachen lassen sich einfach nicht übersetzen.

Nachdenkliche, interessante Kommentare sind immer willkommen. Flamers werden zum Anschüren meiner Heizung im Winter verwendet.

Und nun... geniesst!

No comments:

Post a Comment